Oh holy moly, I am waaay passed my bedtime still editing this post and I know I’ll be bitching about it tomorrow. Lucky me I still have some of these energy bites in the fridge. Seriously, total life savers! They’re like a Pokemon character for foodies, like Pikachu on E getting laid at Disneyland while listening to Rob Zombie. You get what I’m sayin?
This bites are 100% natural! No crappy shit in here, no fake coffee, no added sugar. Instead this recipe uses freshly brewed espresso, dates, roasted hazelnuts for that nice crunch, and a few other surprises like cocoa nibs and hemp seeds. Oh my friends, these are chewy heaven. Let’s make some!
Roasted Hazelnut Espresso Energy Bites
Makes around 15 bites
– 1/2 roasted hazelnuts
– 1/2 cup raw cashews
– 15 dates
– 1 teaspoon of cocoa
– 1/4 cup hemp seeds
– 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
– 2 shots of espresso (freshly brewed)
– Pinch of salt
– Raw cocoa nibs to garnish
1. Start by softening the dates by pouring some hot boiling water over them. Let them soak for about 10 minutes and drain. Place in a food processor or blender and puree. Remove and place in a bowl.
2. Now it’s time to process the hazelnuts, espresso, vanilla, and cocoa until they’re almost pureed. Add mix to the dates.
3. Process rest of ingredients and add to the mix. Combine everything using a spatula or wooden spoon. Make sure you stir well.
4/ Place mix in a container, top with cocoa nibs, and refrigerate for about 2 hours. After they set (remember they’re chewy and not super hard), cut in small bites and enjoy!
Store them in the fridge. They’ll last about a week.
NOTE: If the mix is too wet to handle just add a few more dates and nuts and you’re good to go.
These bites are super addictive so consider yourself warned. They’re perfect to satisfy those sweet cravings we all feel guilty about. Hope you enjoy them :D
Photos and styling: The Artful Desperado