I know what you may be thinking: “umm, that’s breakfast?” and yes! It is! How cool? Like I mentioned in my previous post, you can add a touch of somethin’ somethin’ to an otherwise ordinary meal.
This flavour combo is super fresh yet comforting. The previous version with chocolate is rich and decadent and this one with matcha and mint is more zesty and cooling. The addition of cumquats makes it very wintery and since cumquats are available for a very short period of time, you should make the most out of them!
As with the other recipe, the ratios I share here are a good starting point, but you can always add or decrease any of the ingredients to make it your own, there’s no screwing up the recipe, really. If you compare both recipes you’ll notice the base is the same, it’s the toppings and flavourings that change, so you can go wild with it! Ok, grab your bowl and let’s make another tasty breakfast.
Recipe after the jump
Copenhagen Style Grain Porridge: Matcha, Mint, Caramelized Cumquat, and Pistachio
For the oatmeal:
– 1/2 cup rolled spelt flakes
– 1/4 cup rye flakes
– 1/2 cup rolled oats
– 1 1/2 cups water
– 1/2 cup coconut milk (from a can)
– 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
– 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– 1 handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
– 1 tablespoon matcha powder
For the cumquats:
– 1 cup cumquats, sliced
– 1/4 cup sugar
– 2 cupa water
-1/4 cup unsalted, raw pistachios, chopped
1. Start with the cumquats: place all the cumquat ingredients in a pot, bring to a simmer and let the liquid reduce almost completely and it has the consistency of syrup, about 12 minutes. The edges of the syrup should be a bit brown, at this point remove from heat and cool down completely.
2. Now the oatmeal: Put all the oatmeal ingredients in a pot except the matcha powder. Bring ingredients to a simmer. In a small bowl mix the matcha powder with 2 tablespoons of water, whisk it really good until no lumps are left, add to the pot and stir in. Continue to simmer all ingredients in low heat for about 10 minutes, making sure to stir here and there to it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat.
I prefer eating this matcha version cold, but warm is also yummy. To serve simply scoop oatmeal into a bowl, top with some of the caramelized cumquats and chopped pistachios, add a couple mint leaves for garnish and dig in!
– if the cumquats become too sticky and you can’t scoop them, add a touch of water to soften them.
– you can make a big batch of oatmeal and have it for a couple days, the cumquats will last about a week in the fridge, you can use the leftovers as jam on toast too!
Hope you liked this mini series inspired by Copenhagen and its delicious oatmeal bars.