Ladies and gentlemen, the butter club is now officially open for applications, not to worry, there are unlimited number of seats, all you need is a brick of that churned piece of heaven and a willingness to cook it in every way possible.
Ahem…well yes. There should be something like a butter club, I actually did think of starting something online but no time for that right now – why? Because we gotta bake!
You see, now that the rainy season is in full throttle and the darkness has settled (seriously, pitch black at 4.30 pm, whaaat?) a nice warm treat is totally needed! How else are we supposed to survive?
This cake has a rich nutty flavour from brown butter and maple syrup, it also has a nice touch of tanginess from sour cream, and to close the deal it’s drizzled with thick rum caramel.
My friends, this cake will make you sing the following: MY ANACONDA WANTS NONE UNLESS YOU GOT BROWN BUTTER CAKE HUN. Get the recipe after the jump!
Brown Butter Pear Cake with Rum Caramel
– This cake is better served at room temp, because is quite moist, if you serve it right out of the fridge it’ll feel dense (still delicious tho!).
– I recommend assembling when you’re about to serve it, that way you can heat up the cakes by itself for 5 min in the oven, then add all the toppings and cream.
– You can skip the cream and just add caramel to it, this makes it like a toffee
– Make sure to get really ripe pears, if they’re green they’ll be clumpy and you won’t get as much “juice” from them.
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 1 cup pear puree (about 2 ripe pears, core removed, mushed in a food processor or blender, I used Bosc pears.)
– 150g unsalted butter (about 10 tablespoons)
– 2 tablespoons maple syrup
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 4 large eggs
– 1 cup whipping cream
– 1 cup sour cream
– 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 1/3 cup whipping cream
– 1 tablespoon butter
– 1 tablespoon dark rum
1.Start by browning the butter: place the butter in a heavy bottomed pan and place it over medium heat. Once it melts it’ll start to bubble, continue to heat it for another 3-4 minutes swirling here and there. You’ll notice the bubbles appear “less cloudy” and you’ll see the liquid start turning amber – watch out! It’s about to brown – keep heating and swirling (2 more minutes) and as soon as it turns caramel colour remove from heat and swirl swirl swirl (careful it’s hot!). Leave it on the side to cool off. Now you have brown butter. Smells amazing, yes?!
2. Preheat the oven to 325F.
3. In a large bowl place the flour, baking powder, and sugar and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre and add the pear puree, brown butter (make sure it’s not boiling hot or you’ll cook the eggs!), maple syrup, vanilla extract, and eggs. Stir to combine just until smooth.
4. Evenly pour the mix into two greased 6inch pans.
5. Place pans in the oven and bake for 45-55 min. Check for doneness using a skewer which should come out clean when ready.
6. Remove pans from the oven and set aside. Let them rest for about 10 minutes before removing from mold.
Now make the cream:
– In a bowl place the whipping cream, sour cream, and vanilla extract and whisk using your muscles or an electric mixer until you form soft peaks.
And for the caramel:
– Place the sugar in a heavy bottom pan and add about 2 tablespoons of water. Turn on the heat on medium.
– The sugar will start to bubble and will thicken (about 5 min). Let it simmer until bubbles get thicker and you notice the sugar gets dark amber (nice rich caramel colour) – turn off the heat and CAREFULLY pour the cream in (it will bubble like crazy, let it chill for a few seconds). Add the butter and rum and whisk everything until smooth. Let it cool at room temp for a bit then place it in the fridge to thicken for about 30-45 min.
– Place one of the cakes on a platter, then scoop a generous portion of cream on it and spread with a spoon from the centre out.
– Place the other cake on top and add the rest of the cream on top. Spread with a spoon.
– Drizzle cake with the chilled caramel sauce. Slice and FEAST!!!